Miter saws, or chop saws, are a staple for home improvement, construction work, and many other professions. Designed to make tricky or repeated cuts with ease and precision, the miter saw will help you breeze through jobs that will stump handheld tools.
While we try to stick to the general questions of capability and precision, each saw presented has features that will set it apart from the rest – better guidance, more affordable, or just simpler to use. Make sure your selection is the right one for your particular workspace.
Although the list below is by no means exhaustive, it represents saws that have drawn particular accolades in their own fields and the features that got them noticed. While reading, note that these are not sliding miters, and may not be able to handle the same sort of tasks as a sliding saw would.
Our Best Compound Miter Saw Reviews and Comparisons
|1. Bosch Power Tools GCM12SD ||Check Price|
|2. Hitachi C10FCG ||Check Price|
|3. SKIL 3821-01 ||Check Price|
|4. Craftsman 21237||Check Price|
|5. Makita LS1221||Check Price|
1. Bosch Power Tools GCM12SD
An ergonomic saw with multiple user-friendly additions and a compact footprint in the worksite.
- Dust collections system with a built-in bag, chute, and vacuum adapter
- Ambidextrous grip and bevel lock
- Up to sixteen and a half inches horizontal cutting
- Fifteen amp motor capable of three thousand eight hundred rotations per minute
This saw is easier to use than many comparable appliances, with ambidextrous ergonomic grip, one-touch bevel locks, and one-touch fence positioning.
At nearly ninety pounds, this saw is far from mobile, a problem exacerbated by the lack of a good carrying handle.
- Deep cutting capacity
- Comfortable and ambidextrous grip
- Exceptional dust collection
- Stable base and intuitive lock controls
- Extremely heavy
- No laser guide
2. Hitachi C10FCG
A simple and effective model that can meet your needs without breaking your budget.
- Fifteen-amp motor capable of up to five thousand rotations per minute
- Lightweight aluminum construction
- Miter ranges fifty-two degrees left and right
- Dust collection attachment included
This saw makes for a simple but reliable addition to a tool shed or job site, offering good cutting and surprising durability for a relatively low price.
Experienced handicrafters may find the saw too basic for their more ambitious projects.
- Light and easy to transport
- Simple and serviceable controls
- Unusually durable
- Exceptionally low price
- Many ancillary features are either missing or very basic
- Shoddy dust collection
- No laser guide
3. SKIL 3821-01
This saw comes decked out in all manner of user-friendly features, from a laser guide to a vibration-dampening system, with performance to match.
- Fifteen amp motor capable of up to four thousand five hundred rotations per minute
- Laser cutting guide for precise work
- Nine preset stops for common miter angles
- Extendable rails for larger pieces of lumber
There’s plenty of good to go around in this saw, with a laser to keep your cuts on-target, multiple positive stops for all the common miter angles, and a damping system to minimize vibrations while you work.
The cutting capacity is somewhat shallow at only six inches, and there are reports of the many extra features needing to be readjusted after use to keep the saw’s angle true.
- Laser guide
- Multiple built-in positive stops
- Quick mount system for rapid setup
- Built-in clamp holds material while cutting
- Extra features can malfunction
- Shallow cutting depth
4. Craftsman 21237
This saw combines the best of features while leaving out the unnecessary add ons, focusing instead on low weight and accurate performance.
- Comfortable handle with safety switch
- Fifteen amp motor capable of forty-eight hundred revolutions per minute
- Built-in clamp and dust bag for convenience
This saw gives a well-rounded experience, performing well in terms of cutting, ease of use, durability, and transportability all at once.
Unlike other saws, this saw does not particularly excel in any one characteristic. For legal reasons involving the sale of the brand between retailers, there may be problems with warranty service or replacement.
- Laser guide included
- Dust control system works well
- Sixty-tooth blade
- Aluminum construction is both light and sturdy
- Features are serviceable but not exceptional
- Warranty may be problematic
5. Makita LS1221
Flexible and lightweight, this saw will give a fast cut through wood or aluminum alike.
- Fifteen-amp motor delivering up to four thousand rotations per minute
- Carbide tipped blade for wood or metal
- Pivoting fence for larger material
- Electric brake system
The LS1221 is impressively powerful for such a lightweight saw, cutting four inches by six of wood or light metal with a power unusual to lighter saws. There are also exceptional safety features, including blade guard, lock button, electric brakes, and a double vice system to hold it in position as you cut.
LS1221 Has a number of plastic components, which are reported less durable than the metal or rubber counterparts in other saws.
- Capable of handling metal as well as wood
- Exceptional safety features
- Fence pivot and lock for secure, accurate cutting
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Plastic parts may be susceptible to breakage
- On the costly side
These are our top five picks for all-around woodworking. Specialty jobs or conditions may necessitate going for a different model.
Choose one that suits your specific constraints. Perhaps there is only so much room for the machine itself, or the material being processed.
When buying, always consider the job for which the machine is intended, and make sure to ask about warranty and possible accessories that might enhance your experience. The models listed come with some extra features, but your particular process might require a more powerful dust vacuum, better laser, or a blade with more teeth.
It goes without saying to consider the safety features of each saw before buying, as well as where the machine is to be located. Whichever you decide on, make sure it feels right for you, and carefully maintain your saw for many years of enjoyable use.