A chainsaw is an essential tool for tough tasks, including pruning, trimming, and cutting down trees. For that reason, you will need to select a suitable, durable chain for the purpose.
While any kind of a chain for a chainsaw can suit various cutting materials, hardwood requires particular chain types. It should be made of sturdy metal, with the ability to endure the hardwood’s toughness.
Read Article: Best Cordless Jigsaw
A wrong choice of chain poses a risk of kick-back if it breaks during the operation. Besides, if you don’t choose the right chain, it will take you a long time to cut through the hardwood.
Below is a review of some of the best chainsaw chains available in the market today that were designed especially for hardwood.
Best Chainsaw Chains Review and Comparisons
|1. Oregon S56 Advance Cut Chainsaw Chain||Check Price|
|2. Oregon D72 Advance Cut 20-Inch Chainsaw Chain||Check Price|
|3. Stihl 2 pack 26RM3 18-Inch chainsaw chain||Check Price|
|4. Husqvarna H4684 0.050-Inch Gauge Chainsaw Chain||Check Price|
|5. Oregon R34 AdvanceCut 8-Inch Micro Lite Chainsaw Chain||Check Price|
1. Oregon S56 Advance Cut Chainsaw Chain
Oregon S56 Advance Cut 16-inch chainsaw Chain is one of the best chainsaw chains in the market today. Whether you are a professional user or an occasional user, this chain is designed to cater to your needs. It is meant to be used for saw sizes of up to 42 cc.
It has low vibration and kick-back with an element of chamfer chisel cutters. The chainsaw chain has twin cutting corners that improves its performance. It meets the kickback performance requirement of ANSI B175.1-2012.
It is a high-quality chain and very affordable. It has more cutting teeth which makes it much easier to cut through anything.
The S56 does not fit in all Poulan saws.
- It is more comfortable due to the low vibration
- When well oiled; it lasts longer and prevents downtime
- Since the cutters are chrome plated; it has better wear resistance
- The hardened rivets ensure the strength of the chain
- It tends to fall off occasionally
- It dulls quickly
2. Oregon D72 Advance Cut 20-Inch Chainsaw Chain
The Oregon D72 Advance Cut 20-Inch Chainsaw Chain comes from a manufacturer producing highly ranked chainsaw chain. It is used for saws of between 50-100 cc.
It is easier to sharpen due to the Gold Loop Start Indicator. For superior performance, it has reshaped cutter and proprietary grind technology.
It has a low vibration with a chisel cutter chain to maximize the cut with less effort and a low kickback.
It fits perfectly in PP5020g. It is durable and stays sharp for an extended period.
It has excellent performance, and it is a fair price.
It is about an inch long, and therefore it does not tighten up. It corrodes fast.
- It is chrome plated to ensure it has maximum grip on the chain
- It has low kickback
- It has low vibrations which enhance its comfortability
- It has stretching issues, and sometimes it outstretches the adjustment capabilities
- It is relatively slow
3. Stihl 2 pack 26RM3 18-Inch chainsaw chain
Stihl 2 pack 26RM3 18-Inch chainsaw chain normally comes with Stihl chainsaws. It is one of the many reasons that makes Stihl chainsaws highly regarded in the market.
These chains normally cut well and are suitable for the hardest trees. It has a self-lubricating mechanism that makes it cost-effective since the amount of oil needed for lubrication is reduced.
These kinds of chains are highly recommended for beginners since they do not have a big bite. It can only be used in Stihl chainsaw models 025, MS250, and MS251.
Typically, it does not get dull. It has low vibration and low kickback.
It is an excellent chain with a fair price. It slices right through anything.
It is slow and not suitable where a big bite is wanted.
- It makes perfect cuts
- It is pre-stretched and therefore no need to worry about temperature adjustments in the field
- It’s self-lubricating hence reducing the amount of oil needed to maintain it
- It is expensive
- It is slow
4. Husqvarna H4684 0.050-Inch Gauge Chainsaw Chain
It is perfect for a sizeable chainsaw. It has 84 drive links that to cut quickly through wood that makes sure that the job is finished in record time. It cuts clean, and the cleanup of chips after cutting is not necessary.
It has the ability to cut through the hardest wood without losing its sharpness.
It is designed for low vibrations and cuts easily through hardwood and firewood.
Its cost is relatively cheap. It works well with 455 husky Rancher.
If well maintained, it’s durable for a long time. It has a relatively lower price compared to the service it will give you.
It stays sharp for a more extended period of cutting.
Sometimes they do not fit in all types of chainsaws.
- It requires no clean up after cutting
- It can be sharpened and maintained easily
- It does not get blunt easily even after hours of cutting
- It is among the most durable chains
- It requires thorough cleaning for the best performance
- It has a relatively bigger kickback than the other chains
5. Oregon R34 AdvanceCut 8-Inch Micro Lite Chainsaw Chain
It is made for lightweight, versatile power tools. It has relatively good efficiency and requires less saw power since it removes less wood fiber while operating.
It does not require frequent sharpening since it retains its cutting edge quite well.
It has low kickback and low vibration. It has chrome-plated points.
It requires low power, therefore, increased efficiency. It retains its sharpness even after cutting for very long hours.
It makes smooth cuts through hardwood and firewood and is highly preferred by landscapers and homeowners.
It is disappointing if you get one with burring issues.
- It produces low vibrations
- It has low kickback
- The points are chrome plated
- It has hardened rivets
- Sometimes they have burring issues
- Not suitable for high power tools
A high-quality chain presents several benefits. Not only does it make your work more efficient but it also lasts for a prolonged period.
Typically, most durable materials do not corrode easily, and thus you do not have to worry about replacing it too soon. As long as you carry out maintenance practices appropriately, such as sufficient oiling, these chains will last for a long time.